This is an incredibly easy but really tasty recipe, as Mark Bittman (author of How to Cook Everything) is known to create. I used red, yellow and green bell pepper, added shredded carrot and red cabbage, and skipped the onion because I didn’t have any. The recipe called for an optional tablespoon of sugar, which I left out.
I think it’s silly when recipes say “optional.” Everything is optional. And anything else can be added. Taste it and change it until you think it’s good. Be free!
Garbanzo Bean Salad
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 cups cooked or canned chickpeas/garbanzo beans (rinse canned ones)
- 2 bell peppers, any colors, seeded and diced
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 1-inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves
microsoft outlook discount Lightly toast cumin. In a large bowl, toss all ingredients but
cilantro. (You can prepare dish up to this point in advance; let sit for up to 2 hours.) Taste and add more of anything as necessary. Garnish with cilantro, and serve. Makes about 4 servings.